Wednesday, May 1, 2013

1 May, Labour Day, my IQ went to 70

Labour Day! From Whatapps, only 1 of the regular buddies, Mr Hee, had confirmed climbing in Dairy Farm Quarry, so I was expecting a quite day. There was a big smile from above as i drove from Yishun to DF. As i turned from Mandai into the BKE,Noooo! A huge dark cloud have gathered where it matters, at DF :'(



As I walked in, Anthony, a one-time regular DF climber, was ahead of me. Doc and Spencer, current regulars and old time DF climbers, drove up in Doc's car. Then three young climbers, Willard, Eugene and Guoshu, sometime DF climbers, from Onsight gym joined us. We were jokingly pushing the blame around about who brought the dark clouds. It is now a crowd, as far as DF goes.

As we entered the climbing area, we realized that we were just half of the crowd today. Tong, Sing, Sharon, Meng Kuan, Yourui, QX and more people I do not know were already climbing. Our favorite DF regular, Logan, was there too. Logan is a golden retriever who have a climbing route named after him, Flying Logan, 6a+. Just then, Kim Chuan, another excellent climber and DF regular, came.

To get away from the crowd, Kim Chuan and Hee decided to climb at nose with. I suggested going to ABCD and Anthony agreed. Anthony is a excellent climbing with a climbing grade I could only dream of. Just when Anthony geared up and stepped on the rocks, the drops came from above. "Its raining, I said" He stepped off, we waited a while, I took off my belay and harness. Then the drops disappeared! Ok! I put my harness back on and we climbed. We climbed C, 6b+ followed by B, 5c and then A, 6a. The birds were all around us, reassuring us of the good weather. A Greater Racquet-Tailed Drongo, Dicrucrus paradiseus, came upsetting the Striped Tit Babblers, Macronus gularis who were hunting around. An Olive-Winged Bulbul, Pycnonotus plumosus, also came by.

We then proceed to Rockstar section of DF. Anthony did not have enough fun with these easy peasies. Anthony climbed IQ70, 5b, set up the top ropes and wanted to try a direct overhang route up the IQ, an unknown grade. Just then, Weiquan, Joe and soon after Andy, one of the DF angels, and Angeline join us. Anthony succeed pulling down some big bread loaf size rocks but was spared injuries. They top-roped some of the new routes which i decided were too difficult for me fingers. While enjoying the spectacle put up by these guys, I got hungry and decided to lead IQ70, 5b just to quieten my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment